Thursday, November 18, 2010

Another busy day in The Pink City

Fortunately, the City Palace, which was our first desination for the day, did not open until 10am so I got to sleep in a little- until about 9am!  Arachana and I got to eat breakfast together at the house before heading out to see more of Jaipur.  City Palace was beautiful, but was similar to the one I saw in Mysore.  City Palace is actually still occupied by the royal family and only a portion of it is open to the public.  We walked around for a while and after seeing all the rooms went to the Janter Manter, which is an astrological site. Archana and I enjoyed the placed and listened in as some of the tour guides explained what each structure meant.  I was interested in what they all meant, but not enough to spend the few hundred rupees to hear ALL about it. Needless to say, what I learned was perfectly sufficient.  Because my bus back to Delhi was at 2pm, we left the old part of the city to head towards the bus station.  Mandeep had suggested that we stop at McDonald's to pick something up for me to eat on the bus.  We did indeed go there to get me something to eat, which is somewhat ironic considering I never eat there when I'm home, but I knew it was safe and I'd be okay for the bus ride.  Saying goodbye to Archana was far sadder than I had ever imagined, I mean I had only known her for less then at this point, but we spent a wonderful day together.  After a couple of hours on the bus I was totally fine because I was excited to get back to Maninder and Teena.  Unfortunately, you can never be too sure how long it will take you to get anywhere in India because the traffic is absolutely outrageous!  I got back almost an hour later than I had anticipated, which again made Teen and Maninder late to the wedding reception, which I had been invited to on Friday night.  After being incredibly antzy and asking the guy sitting next to me on the bus a million times how far we still are, I was greeted by Maninder's smiling face J.  We rushed home so I could quickly change into one of Jiya's outfits so Teena, Maninder, and I could head to the party.  Being at the party and seeing how Indian's celebrate a wedding was so cool!  As you scan the room you can spot almost every color of the rainbow and like Jews, they love to dance and eat.  In fact, the wedding celebration is about a week long!  The only way to really explain it is through pictures, which can be found below.  The bride and groom looked incredibly happy and it was a love marriage for those of you who are wondering.  Everyone was dressed beautifully and I was thrilled to be part of the celebration and do some more dancing!  Because the three of us (Teena, Maninder, and I) were heading to Agra the next day, we again had to skip out early, which was sad because this was after all the wedding reception of his best friend's son.  Frankly I was exhausted, but I was thrilled to be there.  As soon as we got home I completely crashed because again, I knew I'd be waking up early to head to Agra to see the Taj Mahal!
City Palace

Maninder and Teena

No comments:

Post a Comment