Monday, November 8, 2010

A rainy, lazy, cozy, Sunday and my first day of teaching

            When I woke up, the sun was not shining, but it was the perfect dreary, rainy Sunday to stay in to eat and watch television.  I spent the day discussing curricula, lesson plans, and life with Rekha while watching her cook all the delicious food she insisted on feeding me all day.  The is no doubt that the food is spicy, but my taste buds are getting used to it and I continue to enjoy trying everything new.  Although I was perfectly content where I was, I needed to get back to Gina's to get ready for school and I wanted to be welcomed back so I did not want to overstay my welcome. Rekha called Vishnu and in about twenty minutes I was back to Gina's.
            Then! I called the people who I have been e-mailing with down the street.  Turns out they are friends of friends, but they are Jewish and Israeli so I was eager to meet them and they were happy to have me over.  When I knocked on the door, Ofer, a five year old little boy, answered the door.  I was also greeted by Sivan, the mom, Ari, the dad, and Tal an adorable two year old little girl.  Ari was busy with some work for a while, but talking with Sivan, spending time with the kids, and hearing Hebrew was perhaps the warmest feeling I've had since I got here.  Nothing made me happier then knowing that they are right down the street and so happy to have my company.  Sivan and I spent time talking while I enjoyed her company as well as Ofer and Tal's and before I knew it I had been there quite some time.  She told me about the few Israeli families who live near the Chabad house, which is about 40 minutes away.  According to Sivan, the majority of Chabad go-ers are business men who come in for however long and want to observe Shabbat.  As a result, they have begun to move services and meals to hotels in the city where they get a cheaper price and host these Shabbatot- I look forward to experiencing this at least once while I am here.  If nothing else, at least I have somewhere to go for Channukah!  After plenty of conversation, Ari came out of his office and we all ate dinner together. Sivan repeatedly mentioned how much the kids seemed to be enjoying my company and it seems they have found their new babysitter! Too bad I won't be here for very long, plus any salary in rupees is not exactly very much, but of course I would not do it for the money.  The Bloch (pronounced Block- how weird?!) family are definitely new friends of mine and I was invited back anytime I want. 

            Today was my first day of actual teaching with standard four.  The morning was spent running around trying to find a copier to make copies for my lesson.  I should not have waited, but Rekha assured me this would be alright.  In the end, I was ready and excited for my first lesson with them.  Because I used the whiteboard, the students were extra engaged for this was the first time they had been the whiteboard being used.  The classroom teachers gave great feedback and it was great to see them taking pictures of what I was doing with their students.  I also think they felt it was a nice break and they even stepped out of the room while I was teaching for a bit.  This was reassuring and I was surprised, but I was not even nervous about teaching today! The more I teach, the more confident I am in my abilities and the more I realize how much I love this profession!
            After school today, I stayed after to help Mythri with the play, but I ended up chatting with Anupa and not doing very much work.  It was great company and I was in no rush to get home, so being there to see what they are doing was nice.  Mythri drove me and one other teacher home after practice was over.  After dropping off the other teacher, Mythri asked if I wanted to go for coffee so I of course said yes and we sat for almost two hours talking and getting to know each other better.  Her life is beyond complicated, which I have concluded is masked by her humor and sarcasm.  Regardless, she has a good heart and I enjoy spending time with her.  Anupa also has extended various invitations to me, so I'm certainly excited about the time I'll get to spend with both of them while I'm here.  They may be a few years older than me, but when we are all together the age does not feel like much.  I am looking forward to spending more time with both of them!
            Now I am heading to finish up my work for tomorrow and read up on Delhi a little bit so I actually know what I'm looking at when I get there this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment