Monday, November 8, 2010

Mysore

Sleeping was a challenge because of the crackers that went off all night, but eventually I passed out (apparently the opium in the dessert helped this along haha).  When I woke up at 5am on a Saturday, I wondered what I was thinking getting up to spend a day touring.  Rekha did a lot of talking on the way from her house to the bus stop where the tour would begin, but I have concluded that she enjoys the intellegent conversation as well as my feedback on what she is trying to implement in the school.  Rekha is incredibly bright and has spectacular instincts, but she seems to be struggling with the direction in where she sees the school taking.  I am of course happy to help her out and it's been fun looking through various curricula and am thrilled that she values my opinion so much!
I got on a Karnataka State Bus Tour to find that I was the only foreigner until Tommi (I have no idea how she spells her name) from Japan sat down next to me on the bus.  When she got on the bus I was thrilled to know I was not the only one traveling alone and knew I had someone to keep me company all day throughout the tour.  We visited a number of temples, the Maharasha Palace, a fort of some kind, and a beautiful garden.  The temples were nice to see although they seemed to all look the same to me so by the third one I was less than impressed.  The palace was gorgeous and 65% of it is still occupied by the royal family.  Also another interesting thing that I did not realize is that when you visit certain places in India, you are required to remove your shoes as a way of keeping out the flith from the outside.  I assumed it was a respect thing, but apparently that is the reasoning.  My biggest concern was that I wouldn't get my shoes back and I'd have to walk around India for the rest of the day barefoot, but then I realized the majority of India already does that! On the hygenic note, unfortunately I experienced a true public bathroom in India and realized how unfortunate it was for me that I had to go.  Luckily, I found the balance between drinking enough so that I didn't get dehydrated, but not too much that I would have to go to the bathroom again! (for those who are wondering, I was successful in this endevour and only went twice the whole day and reminded hydrated!) Switching back to the site-seeing, the gardens were amazing and there was a singing foutain that I enjoyed very much- it was a perfect end to the day.  The toughest part of the day was getting used to everyone staring at me.  Apparently it is not known that staring is quite rude, but I've gotten used to knowing that everyone will stare mostly out of curiosity.  
The ride home from Mysore took forever even though I slept most of the way and I have to admit that I was relieved to be back in Rekha's hands when I pulled up to where she had dropped me earlier that day.  I was proud of myself for traveling the day on my own, but at the same time there was a certain comfort in being back in her hands as well as with her family.  Entering Rekha's home again was such a great feeling and I could not wait to shower, get into bed, and sleep until whenever I woke up.  Saturday was the longest day ever, but it was a great experience and I slept forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment