Sunday, November 28, 2010

So I'm about halfway through, what have I learned so far?

As I sat on the bus coming home from school on Friday, I began to reflect on what I've learned so far during my experiences here since I have officially been here one month and have a little less than a month left.  Some of the items below are what I have learned about myself that I would like to share with all of you and others are meant for educating or entertaining purposes.

-       The traffic in India is outrageous as are the drivers.  There is absolutely no way of knowing how long it will take to get anywhere in this country.  On the roads here you will find cars, auto rickshaws, bikes, scooters, trucks, buses, camels, cows, and whatever else may be roaming the streets.
-       Pollution is definitely a concern, but there is only so much being done to make the situation better.
-       There is no denying the dirtiness as well as the poverty in this country.  For the citizens, it is part of the make up of the population.  People will unzip their pants and pee just about anywhere, piles of garbage lines the streets, and there is constantly fumes in the air for all of the modes of transportation in the streets.
-       A metro is currently being built.  One route will run north and south and the other east and west through the city of Bangalore.  There is a car on display right now and they are actively building the railway.  It was predicted to be functioning in December, but it appears as though they will be slightly delayed.
-       There are people everywhere in this country.  Even in the most remote areas I have seen between the places I have traveled, there is always someone on the side of the road.  A GPS is not necessary because all you need to do is roll down the window and ask someone where to go.  If they don't have the answer, not to worry, the person next to them will direct you.
-       Banana in Hindi is Kela
-       Sugar cane in Hindi is Ganna
-       Street food is incredibly extensive, but some of the most popular and safe items include sweet corn anyway you like it and sugar cane juice.
-       Drinking sugar cane juice or coconut water is actually safer than buying a bottle of water in some cases because it is not 100% certain that you can trust the person you are buying water from.  They have learned how to reseal the bottles and can fill them with whatever water they can find.
-       To activate any outlet, you need to turn on a switch, even to turn on the hot water for the shower.
-       Muslim are not well liked by the general public, there is enormous political tension between Muslim and Hindus.  I have not seen evidence of this, but I have heard statements like, "a good Muslim is a dead one" and "this area is especially dirty, it is occupied by the Muslims."  In the more educated circles, there is less tension, but I believe that this is present more in the northwest part of the country boarding Pakistan.
-       Education is one of the most important parts of a child's life.  Even the poorest of the poor attend school through high school.  It is believed that education is the only way to be successful in this country.
-       Students have hours of homework on a daily basis and learn at far more advanced levels then I have seen in America.
-       Parents take care of their children until 21 or until they are married in some circles.
-       Arranged marriages are still part of their culture; however, there are situations in which a proposal will be made and the prospects have the ability to say no.  Love marriages are also present. 
-       Your birth date is one of the first questions someone will ask you.  Horoscopes are a big deal.
-       When you are born, you are given a koondli (spelling?) which basically predicts your life.  If your koondli does not match that of your potential life partner, it is possible that the marriage will not be.
-       Teaching in a country in which the students have names you cannot pronounce is far more difficult than I had imagined.
-       The younger students have no problem asking me all sorts of questions.  Honestly, I love that they are not afraid to ask these questions because at least they will have accurate information instead of making assumptions based on what they have heard.  On my very first day a 5 year old asked, "to which god do you pray?" A third grader asked me if there is sun where I am from because I am so fair.
-       If a Thursday of school was missed, they will make up for it on a Saturday- not cool.
-       Everyone here wishes to have fair skin, meanwhile, we spend our time sunbathing to be darker.
-       Indians are open to share anything and everything with you.
-       Everyone I have met as an incredibly interesting story.  Many are separated by loved ones by thousands of miles for various reasons.  Some of their life struggles are similar to ones you would find in America, others are unique to their society.
-       Child are allowed to be hit in the convent schools.
-       There are four major types of schools in India: convent school run by the Catholic church, public schools, private schools, and International schools.
-       There are about 50 Jews in Jacoor, Bangalore.
-       Everything closes in this city by about 11:30pm, even the clubs and restaurants.
-       They do not have pretzels in this country!
-       I miss the comforts of my Judaism, but I have made my own connections and have enjoyed discovering its true importance to me.
-       Beds in India are much harder than what we have in America and far thinner.
-       Bollywood films are excellent, but the majority have little or no storyline; however, they are entertaining.
-       There are Jewish stars all over the place, but it is a sign of peace.
-       As I spend more time observing the people, I have noticed that everyone is a different color skin.  I am not certain of the significance, but I hope to look further into this with the remaining time.
-       Being alone here was far more challenging in the beginning, but now I am enjoying the freedom it has given me to explore myself as well as this place in my own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment